Friday, May 8, 2009

Generation 1.5

I didn't know that my generation is called Generation 1.5 until last week. (thanks Marisa!) From what I remember my professor said we are called generation 1.5 because we are the first generation that is born in the US of A but still clinging on to our parents roots from their countries. I think our biggest problem my generation is facing is setting ourselves apart from our parents generation and making a name of our own. The philosopher that would best support my idea I believe would be Freud. The reason why I would choose him as oppose to any other philosopher is because as much as we want to set ourselves apart we fear the consequences of going against our parents and our families roots. There for we subconsciously block these wants from our lives. At least in front of our parents eyes. We as Americans are exposed to much more diversity and more forms of arts then for example my mother who was born in the Dominican Republic in a small town. The music she use to hear is very different then the one I enjoy now. In my house I might not blast my music for a couple of reasons; respect for my home and my mothers wishes , and mostly to avoid arguments. It sucks being told how crazy the choice of my music is. But the second i go outside I blast the music on my I-Pod. And this is the one of the problems I see my generation is facing.

No comments: